THE POWER OF FRESH HABITS

Featured

 

Habakkuk 2:2-3
Then the Lord answered me and said: “Write the vision and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time; but at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.

HEAR IT:
Social networking is the biggest trend to hit our culture in the past decade. People are communicating through technology using websites such as Facebook and Twitter. You can create an entirely new identity and persona with the stroke of a key. God asks us to do a similar thing, believe it or not with our lives. We all have a God-given vision for our lives and when we’ve discovered it, God asks us to write it down and make it plain so we can have clear direction to run with it when the time comes.

In Habakkuk 2:1; we find the prophet climbing a watchtower so he can hear what God wanted to say to him. He climbed the watchtower to get away from anything or anyone else that might distract him from hearing the voice of God. We need to do the same thing. In order to truly learn the vision God has for us, we need to separate ourselves from the things that might get in the way and get rid of old habits that might be hindering us. This is the only way we can fully devote ourselves to being on watch for the direction of the Lord.

SEE IT:
In 1979, interviewers asked a question to new graduates from Harvard’s MBA program. “Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?”

This is how the graduates responded:

84% Had no specific goals at all.
13% Had goals, but they were not written on paper.
03% Had clear, written goals, and plans to accomplish them.

In 1989 the interviewers caught up with the graduates to see how they were doing. This is what they found.

The 13% of the class who had goals were earning, an average twice as much as the 84% who had no goals at all. Even more staggering the 3% who had clear, written goals were earning on average, ten times as much as the other 97% put together!

The problem with starting new habits is knowing which ones will provide the desired outcome. Writing down your goals gives you a direction to go with an end in mind. By following the instructions in Habakkuk 2, you can write down a clear God-given vision for your life. And when you seek Him you can know the steps you need to take to achieve that vision.

DO IT:
01. Take some time right now and write down a list of where you feel God wants you to be in a year from now.

02. After the sentence, describe the vision in two paragraphs.

03. Write down a list of new habits that will help you achieve that vision/goal.