Thank you for checking out the brand new LifeSpeaks.tv blog site. I have been trying to figure out some way to communicate with our church family, community on some sort of regular basis. I considered a “Webcast.” But, just to be honest, it looked forced and artificial.
We already send out semi-regular e-mail blast. This certainly has its advantages. For starters, I can communicate to almost everyone who calls Life Fellowship Home without any initiative on their part. In addition, it’s free.
So, we decided to set up a blog (short for “Web Log”). That’s what you are reading now. This is not an attempt to be cool, to join the band wagon of all the other bloggers out there or to try to impress anyone with what I know. The truth is, the older I get, the less I know. Bottom Line: a blog is a simple way to speak with our LF family, and community. It’s focused on being a place where stories are told, leadership is imparted, truth is discovered and victories are celebrated.
I think it has several advantages:
- It is a familiar medium. It’s different than a book or a newsletter yet everyone knows how to read a blog.
- It provides a mechanism for feedback. E-mail does this, too, of course. All you have to do is “Reply.” However, it excludes other people from the conversation unless you “Reply All.” Unfortunately, that would generate hundreds of e-mail messages since I would be sending the original e-mail to hundreds and hundreds of people. In contrast, this blog allows for comments (see the bottom of this post). You can even enter your comments anonymously if you wish.
- It provides an archive of communications. This feature allows you to catch up if you have missed some of the posts. I think it might also prove helpful to new people who join Life Fellowship, allowing them to read the entries that interest them whenever they have the opportunity or interest.
- It is cheap. WordPress the blogging service I use is FREE. It’s hard to beat that. If you are interested in writing your own blog go to www.wordpress.com.
- It makes it easy to spread the word. When a blog is posted, if you like what you read, why not spread the word and repost the article, event, picture or video on your social network site.
Here’s how I anticipate this working. Periodically, myself or my staff will write a new post. I might even have a friend in ministry provide a guest post. These posts might be several per week or one a month. I honestly can’t predict the frequency. If you want to be alerted when a new blog has been posted, you can simply subscribe to the RSS feed. From there, it’s up to you.
Please do provide me with feedback. I want to hear “the good, the bad, and the ugly.” If you disagree with me or want to provide an alternative perspective, go for it! If you are uncomfortable using your real name, use an alias. The important thing is to tell us what’s on your mind.
With all that said, I am ready to take this journey aren’t you? Lets relive victories, discover new truths and of course in the process, lets have some fun.